GSK responds to UK Life Sciences Industrial Strategy
Issued: London, UK
Responding to the Life Sciences Industrial Strategy, announced today and presented as a report to the UK government from the life sciences sector, Phil Thomson, President, Global Affairs, at GSK said:
“The UK is a powerhouse for life sciences and GSK welcomes the vision set out today by Sir John Bell for the sector’s future. At the core of this new industrial strategy is a stronger and deeper level of collaboration between industry, government, the NHS, academia and funders. Working together, we can make the UK internationally competitive in life sciences for the long-term, capitalising on the country’s world-class science base and realising innovation to drive economic growth and improve patient care. As the UK’s largest life sciences company and one of its biggest investors in research, we look forward to contributing to this effort.”
GSK – one of the world’s leading research-based pharmaceutical and healthcare companies – is committed to improving the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer. For further information please visit www.gsk.com/about-us.
Notes to editors:
- GSK has a significant presence in the UK with approximately 17,000 employees, 9 manufacturing sites, a global R&D site and our corporate headquarters.
- GSK is one of the largest private R&D investors in the UK spending over a £1billion a year. The company focuses 80% of its pharmaceutical research spending across respiratory, HIV/ infectious diseases, oncology and immuno-inflammation research.
- In July 2017 the company announced plans to invest £140million to support the expansion of manufacturing in the UK – additional investment to £275million announced in 2016.
- Overall GSK has invested over £1.2billion in UK manufacturing since 2012.
- GSK exports around 80% of UK manufactured products (pharmaceutical and consumer healthcare).
Find out more about us
Keep up to date with our news and recent announcements
Keeping ahead of the game
To be the best at what we do, we rely on innovative science to create products capable of transforming the lives of patients.
Healthcare in your pocket
We are dedicated to supporting patients beyond the medicines we provide and believe that digital technology, has an important role to play in this.